Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Verbal diarrhea of a non-working journalist

This blog, this post starts with a warning. If you are a happy-go-lucky, positive person looking for a politically correct and stimulating writing, you need to go somewhere else. This is largely a diary of a non-working journalist jostling her way to find a job in the big bad media world of United Kingdom and the very fact she is here is because the search is not going anywhere--yours truly. And yes you can keep your pity and sympathy with yourself. What I need is a platform to vent and actually get some mental not to mention creative excitement out of it.

The thing is I don't blog despite being a writer/ reporter. These fibs will certainly look attractive on my CV but the fact is I just don't. Call me lazy, call me anything. I am actually beyond caring. But I am doing this now because this is the only place I can assure myself that I don't forget the interesting art called writing. And yes I am just in a perpetual aggrandize state of mind.

Finding a journalism job in a city nay a country where you have absolutely nil contacts can certainly take the wind out of you. And sometimes you are so tempted to direct that wind on the person who is rejecting you. I mean what do you do, how do you start in a place where you don't anything much, when your brains stubbornly refuse to observe, gauge and turn things into story ideas. How do you stimulate yourself when you are facing the dragon called stupid assumptions. On a potential interview call the other day, the person who runs a popular charity was surprised that I could speak English, and that I can make meaningful sentences and not just answer in monosyllables. This despite the fact that my CV clearly states that I have worked in an English daily and magazine. Really which part of the sentence was difficult to understand?

And I don't know whether I should jump with joy when someone says, "Wow. Your language is good." It simply means I know English certainly not that I am in the league of Jane Austen or Steinbeck. Yeah I have read them both. And no not all Indians come from some obscure dark land where they teach you to be an esoteric guru. And just because we love eating with our hands does not mean we don't know how to use cutlery. Assumptions of any kind are the biggest screw up. And it is a more serious offense if you are a journalist and just assume things about people living in the other side of the world. But then I guess how to get prejudices is still not a subject taught in many schools and colleges.

So long. For now.

No comments:

Post a Comment